Thứ Tư, 15 tháng 5, 2013

Ladies of the night unite against Missy

The Concert for the Kimberley

The Concert for the Kimberley at Fremantle Esplanade, featuring Missy Higgins and John Butler. The concert is a protest against the James Price Point gas hub. Picture: Jordan Shields. Source: PerthNow

Missy Higgins

Missy Higgins. Source: Supplied

MISSY Higgins is locked in a bitter Twitter war with sex workers - because she used outdated language to describe a dream.

The popular Australian singer-songwriter (pictured) posted on Twitter: "I dreamt I fell in love with a prostitute. She was young & I wanted to save her. Related to my thoughts about The Voice perhaps?"

But her seemingly innocent comment angered some in the sex industry.

A Twitter user with the handle WhoresEyeView snapped: "We don't need you to save us. Don't be so condescending. We are real people not extensions of ur ideals. Learn." Missy replied: "It was a dream dude, chill out."

That sparked furious feedback.

One tweeted: "Cram the chill pill. If you bothered to learn the issues you'd understand why we can't chill."

Another fired: "If you had any idea how we hookers get treated you'd understand why I'm defensive. Grow some empathy."

After learning the term "prostitute" was offensive, Higgins later said: "I meant absolutely no disrespect by dreaming what I did. For the record, I do not, in reality, want to save any sex workers.

"I had no idea 'prostitute' is an offensive term, 'sex worker' being the preferred term by those in the field.

"Apologies to those I offended."

The sex workers were obviously big fans of The Voice.


View the original article here

Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét