Hiển thị các bài đăng có nhãn Tropfest. Hiển thị tất cả bài đăng
Hiển thị các bài đăng có nhãn Tropfest. Hiển thị tất cả bài đăng

Thứ Ba, 19 tháng 2, 2013

Tropfest gets new date and location

Victorian filmmaker Nicholas Clifford has been crowned victor at the 21st Tropfest.

Tropfest Australia's Official 2013 Trailer

John Polson

Winner of Best Short Film, Nicholas Clifford, for We've All Been There poses with John Polson during Tropfest at The Domain on February 17, 2013 in Sydney. Source: Getty Images

AFTER 21 years, Tropfest founder John Polson says it's time for a change, so the world's largest short film festival will move to a new time of year and a new home.

The 22nd Tropfest will be held on December 8 this year and will move from The Domain to Centennial Park in Sydney.

Festival director Polson revealed the change following the announcement of the Tropfest winner last night.

"February is always a tricky month," he told AAP, particularly for people in the film industry wanting to visit.

Aside from the Berlin Film Festival, "it's the BAFTAs, the Oscars, it's this, it's that.

"We think we're pretty big but I don't want to take on the Oscars."

When Tropfest started in 1993, Polson says nobody knew what it was but as the festival has grown bigger there's been a significant increase in visiting international guests.

"We've really been thinking, where's the best place to fit in with the global calendar of these film events?"

Moving Tropfest to December should also attract more international visitors, he said.

However, the weather has also played a small part in the decision.

Only one Tropfest had to be shut down but an enormous downpour last year certainly dampened the night.

"If you look it up, statistically Sydney has almost double the rainfall in February than it has in December, so I'm not going to pretend that didn't have something to do with it either," he said.

The popularity of the film festival, which began in Sydney's Tropicana Cafe, has contributed to the date change as well as the new location.

Polson says with audiences and filmmaker numbers expanding, Centennial Park offers more opportunity to add value to the festival.

"People are coming in earlier and earlier to get their space... but now they're there for 8 or 10 hours and we're trying to give them great stuff to do," he says.

There are many ideas in the pipeline, including A-list live music acts.

However, The Domain will always be an incredible part of Tropfest's history.

Polson said when they moved there in 1999 most people thought they were crazy.

"You know: 'You're never going to fill it, this thing's going to completely tank, because it'll be half full and everyone will think you're a failure'," Polson says.

"And frankly I was one of them."

Of course that didn't happen and Tropfest now attracts a live national audience of about 150,000 people as well as featuring on free-to-air channel SBS One.

Polson says one of the things they've learnt at Tropfest is "even if you're on a great wicket, you cannot just breeze it".

He says it's no coincidence the new Tropfest signature item (TSI), which has to be included in every short film entry, is 'change'.

"The reason is we want to embrace change," he says.

"It's easy to be afraid of change... (but) you've got to be courageous if you want a pay-off.

"No guts, no glory.

"This is going to take some guts and we're hopefully going to get some glory."

* The 22nd Tropfest will run on December 8, 2013


View the original article here

Pregnancy drama delivers Tropfest win

Tropfest Australia's Official 2013 Trailer

A DRAMA about a pregnant waitress who is down on her luck won best actress and best film at Tropfest last night.

“When I sat there and heard everyone laughing at the comedies, I was terrified,’’ said Nicholas Clifford, the Victorian director of We’ve All Been There.

“Because you are not going to laugh through mine.”

Clifford, who made the Tropfest finals in 2012 for the comedy Kitchen Sink Drama, said he had actually felt more confident the previous year.

“You don’t do dramas at this festival - it’s a big outdoor thing - but I really liked the story.”

Clifford and his leading lady, Animal Kingdom’s Laura Wheelwright, were chosen by a judging panel that included Sam Worthington, Richard Roxburgh, Rebecca Gibney, Magda Szubanski and The Sapphires director Wayne Blair.

Tropfest winner Nicholas Clifford and Sam Worthington

Nicholas Clifford, director of We've All Been There celebrates his Tropfest win with Sam Worthington. Picture: Getty Images

Twelve-year-old Nick Hamilton, from Ballina, won the best actor award for his performance in the Queensland drama, Time.

And Worthington, who made a special trip from the US to take on the role of celebrity judge, decided to create a new award on the spot.

Before presenting best film, the Avatar star said he intended to stump up $3000 - the same amount Nicole Kidman donated for the best actor and actress prizes - for a new prize for best personality in a documentary.

And he awarded this to Sydney pensioner and Pitt Street identity Raymond Borzelli, star of Better Than Sinatra.

A clear favourite with the 90,000-strong audience in The Domain, Jefferson Grainger’s documentary was also runner-up for best film.

Victorian filmmaker Nicholas Clifford has been crowned victor at the 21st Tropfest.

“It’s a true story and I love him,’’ said Grainger.

“I’m just sorry that he wasn’t here to enjoy all this.”

At the end of the evening, founder John Polson confirmed that Tropfest, which started out 21 years ago in a cafe in Kings Cross, was about to change dates and locations

Perhaps to avoid the sort of weather that washed out last year’s event, the annual event will move back two months to December 8, and screen in Sydney’s Centennial Park.
 

WINNERS AT THE 21ST TROPFEST

Tropfest

Winner Nicholas Clifford (centre) with members of his cast and crew along with Sam Worthington and John Polson. Picture: Rohan Kelly

1st place - We've All Been There by Nicholas Clifford
2nd place - Better Than Sinatra by Jefferson Grainger
3rd place - Punctured by Nick Baker and Tristan Klein
Best Male Actor - Nick Hamilton from Time
Best Female Actor - Laura Wheelwright in We've All Been There
Nikon DSLR Award - Matt Hardie for Let It Rain
 


View the original article here

Dancing pensioner a Tropfest favourite

Raymond Borzelli

The busker ... Raymond Borzelli. Source: Supplied

  • 85-year-old star of Better Than Sinatra was a clear crowd favourite
  • Sam Worthington announced an impromptu new $3000 award
  • Filmmaker Nicholas Clifford contributed a further $2000

DANCING pensioner Raymond Borzelli wasn't at the Domain on Sunday night to hear Tropfest celebrity judge Sam Worthington announce a special, $3000 award in his honour.

"It was such a beautiful day, I went down to the Rocks and danced there. By the time 5 o'clock came I was so tired I had to go home," Borzelli said yesterday.

"I know it was a big occasion and it's hard luck I wasn't there but I have got to look after my health."

The 85-year-old star of Better Than Sinatra, runner-up for best film, was a clear favourite with the 90,000-strong crowd that turned out for this year's final Tropfest in the Domain - the annual event has been brought forward to December 8, in a bid to avoid a repeat of last year's washout, and relocated to Centennial Park to accommodate its growing size.

The title of director Jefferson Grainger's deceptively simple documentary comes from Borzelli's straight-faced claim that he is a better singer than Frank Sinatra, as well as being taller, more good looking and more masculine.


Before presenting the prize for best film to Victorian filmmaker Nicholas Clifford, director of We've All Been There, Worthington announced an impromptu new award to acknowledge Borzelli's unique skill set.

The Avatar star said he intended to stump up $3000 - the same amount Nicole Kidman donated for best actor and actress - for a new category: best personality in a documentary.

And Clifford was so impressed by his charismatic co-competitor, he decided to contribute a further $2000 from his hard-won $10,000 prize money.

Back at another of his regular haunts, near the Archibald Fountain in Hyde Park, Borzelli agreed that the cash would come in handy, since his $290-a-week pension didn't stretch very far.

But the light-footed octagenarian, who lives in a housing commission flat in Balmain, wasn't revealing exactly what he would spend it on.

"That's a rather personal question. I'm not in a position to tell anybody what I am going to do with my money," he said.


View the original article here