Thứ Tư, 20 tháng 2, 2013

The 25 best Oscar quotes of all time

It's Oscar time and these are some of the reasons why we love or hate to sit through the speeches.

halle

A tearful Halle Berry accepts her Oscar Award for Monster's Ball. Picture: Getty Source: news.com.au

AN OSCAR speech can make the most stoic of actors burst into tears at the drop of a hat and give others a life-changing career boost in a matter of moments.

Summing up a career achievement in thirty seconds or less is no mean feat, but film industry folk have become highly attuned to the need to seize their precious moments of live airtime and leave a permanent impression in the psyche of the viewers.

As we approach the 85th Annual Academy Awards on Monday morning, here are 25 of the best, the most iconic and the most quoted Oscar phrases of all time:

“When they called my name, I had this feeling I could hear half of America going, 'Oh no. Come on... Her, again?' You know. But, whatever."
- Meryl Streep, Best Actress, The Iron Lady, 2012

"For the first time, you can actually see the losers turn green".

- Bob Hope, Academy Awards, 1965 - the first to ever be televised in colour

hilary

Hilary Swank holds her Oscar for Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role during the 72nd Academy Awards. Picture: AFP Source: news.com.au

"I'm just a girl from a trailer park who had a dream. I never thought this would ever happen."
- Hillary Swank, Best Actress, Million Dollar Baby, 2004

MORE:  'OMG I can't believe they won an Oscar' - the most surprising Academy Award winners

"This moment is so much bigger than me. It's for every nameless, faceless woman of colour that now has a chance because this door tonight has been opened."
- Halle Berry becomes the first black woman to win a Best Actress Oscar, Monster's Ball, 2000

"I haven't had an orthodox career and I wanted more than anything to have your respect. The first time I didn't feel it, but this time I feel it and I can't deny the fact that you like me—right now, you like me!"
- Sally Field, Best Actress, Places in the Heart, 1984

"When I was 19 years old, I was the number one star of the world for two years; when I was 40, nobody wanted me; I couldn't get a job."
- Mickey Rooney, 1982 Academy Awards honouree

"What a thrill. You know you've entered new territory when you realise that your outfit cost more than your film."
- Jessica Yu, Best Short Subject Documentary for Breathing Lessons: The Life and Work of Mark O'Brien, 1997

"Oscar and I have something in common. Oscar first came to Hollywood scene in 1928. So did I. We're both a little weather-beaten, but we're still here and plan to be around for a whole lot longer."
- John Wayne, 1979 Academy Awards honouree - two months later he died of cancer

plummer

Christopher Plummer holds the trophy for Best Supporting Actor onstage at the 84th Annual Academy Awards. Picture: AFP Source: news.com.au

"You're only two years older than me, darling. Where have you been all my life?"
- Christopher Plummer, Best Supporting Actor, The Beginners, 2012 - at 82, he is the oldest Oscar winner ever.

"I just said to Matt [Damon], 'Losing would suck and winning would be really scary.' And it's really, really scary."
- Ben Affleck, Best Original Screenplay together with Matt Damon, Good Will Hunting, 1997

"Am I allowed to say I really wanted this? This is fantastic."
- Steven Spielberg, Best Director, Saving Private Ryan, 1998

"God bless that potential that we all have for making anything possible if we think we deserve it. I deserve this."
- Shirley MacLaine, Best Actress, Terms of Endearment, 1984

"Most of all, I want to thank my father, up there, the man who when I said I wanted to be an actor, he said, 'Wonderful. Just have a back-up profession like welding.'"
- Robin Williams, Best Supporting Actor, Good Will Hunting, 1998

jamie

Jamie Foxx accepts his Oscar for Best Actor for his role in film Ray. Picture: AP Source: news.com.au

"[Regarding his grandmother]: She still talks to me now, only now she talks to me in my dreams. And I can't wait to go to sleep tonight because we have a lot to talk about. I love you."
- Jamie Foxx, Best Actor, Ray, 2004

"Gee, this isn't like I imagined it would be in the bathtub."
- Dianne Wiest, Best Supporting Actress, Hannah and Her Sisters, 1987

"Roxy Sorkin, your father just won the Academy Award. I'm going to have to insist on some respect from your guinea pig."
- Aaron Sorkin addresses his daughter, Best Adapted Screenplay, The Social Network, 2011

"I, uh...I have a television, so I'm going to spend some time here to tell you some things. [To orchestra conductor:] And, and...and sir, you're doing a great job, but you're so quick with that stick, so why don't you sit. 'Cause I may never be here again."
- Julia Roberts, Best Actress, Erin Brockovich, 2000

"Did I really earn this, or did I just wear you all down?"
- Sandra Bullock, Best Actress, The Blind Side, 2010

"This is a terrible mistake, because I used up all of my English."
- Roberto Benigni, after winning his second Oscar of the night for Life is Beautiful, 1999

cate

Cate Blanchett accepts her Oscar for Best Supporting Actress for her role in film The Aviator. Picture: AFP Source: news.com.au

"I don't have a sense of entitlement or that I deserve this. You'd be surprised at the lack of competition between nominees - I think a lot of it's imposed from the outside. Can I have my champagne now?"
- Cate Blanchett, Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role, The Aviator, 2004

"There are a lot of great movies that have won the Academy Award, and a lot of great movies that haven't. You just do the best you can."
- Clint Eastwood, Best Director, Million Dollar Baby, 2004

"I just want to thank everybody I've ever met in my entire life."
- Kim Basinger, Best Supporting Actress, L.A Confidential, 1997

"This is one night I wish I smoked and drank."
- Grace Kelly, Best Actress, Academy Awards, 1955

"I won and I get to scream and jump a little. But I got to go back to work tomorrow."
- Benicio del Toro, Best Supporting Actor, Traffic, 2000

"I am king of the world!"
- James Cameron, Best Director, Titanic, 1997


View the original article here

Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét