Thứ Hai, 25 tháng 3, 2013

Is this Bruce Springsteen's most obsessive fan?

Bruce Springsteen

Bruce Springsteen has some.... committed fans. Source: The Courier-Mail

  • Laurel Smith, 33, going to all 10 Springsteen gigs
  • "I think he's the most incredible person ever"
  • Do you know a bigger Bruce Springsteen fan?

TEN concerts. Three cities - and a small country town. Tickets: $2200. Flights, accommodation, and walking around money: $1300.

This is the undertaking of Laurel Smith, 33, one of Australia's biggest Bruce Springsteen fans and one of a small army of Boss fans who have been following him around the country on his Australian tour.

She's obsessed over The Boss since she heard Growin' Up from Springsteen's 1973 album, Greetings from Asbury Park, N.J. Since that time, and including his current tour, Laurel will have seen him perform live 24 times.

She owns every album, every EP, every DVD and every book ever released by Bruce Springsteen. If he had a bobble-head doll, she'd own that, too.

"I think he's the most incredible person ever," she tells news.com.au.

"There are 10 shows on the Australian tour and I'm going to all 10 of them. I feel like I have to. I feel like there's no way that Springsteen could be performing and me not be there. I feel compelled."

Laurel Smith

Laurel, just BE COOL. If that's possible in front of a Bruce banner. Picture: Laurel Smith Source: Supplied

She says her boyfriend of five years, Phillip "knows who the most important man in my life is - and it's not him".

But how does this happen? How does an otherwise sane person become a Springsteen fanatic? Is it Born To Run? Is it tracks like Streets of Philadelphia and Secret Garden? Is it his second-to-no-one nickname?

"I just love him, especially his lyrics," Laurel explains.

"He's an amazing songwriter and performer, and he's complete. He's amazing at everything he does.

"His shows go for at least three hours. There's no support - and he just goes hardcore for the entire three hours. He's got amazing energy for a 63-year-old."

With concerts this good you'd think most fans would feel satisfied with one Springsteen outing per tour - not 10. Not Laurel. She savours every chord progression as much as the kiss Bruce planted on her lips 16 years ago.

"In 1997 when he was touring just himself, not with the band, for a solo acoustic album, I was 17 and living in Perth. I came over to see the five Sydney shows," she says.

"And when one of the shows was over I went around the back to the stage door and when he came out after the show, we had a photo, and he kissed me, and it was the most exciting moment of my life.

"It was proper kiss, totally."

Oh, Bruce, you old flirt.


View the original article here

Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét